Monday 22 October 2012

A Cup of Coffee


How is it possible that a single cup of coffee can bring the past back so vividly? In my dreams, in my rituals, in moments of painful loneliness, I do sometimes call on the spirits of my loved ones that don't share this world anymore. But it is done with respect and preparation, with a clear intention. How can a single cup of coffee bring forward the ghosts of the past, not of the people that passed away, but of the ones that are still here?

Looking in the dark eyes of someone I once loved, the present stopped existing and with it all the years of hard work that I put into erasing the vengeful ghosts of my past. It seemed like the five years of fighting and growing, of learning to look within as well as without, never existed. I found myself obsessively watching the time again, fearful of an unpredictable future, and even repeating myself that I am free, that no swords will hurt me if I linger longer, my heart kept beating faster, expecting my phone to ring and be faced with words that cut.

I could still feel the sunshine in my hair, the ground beneath my feet, but the woman I became beyond the odds, could not be there, not while the broken, fearful young mother that I was was caught in a past no longer real, but equally as painful.

I chose to forget sometimes that once, not so long ago, I was scared of my own shadow. I forget that it was a time when I would think over and over again before saying something, and still the punishment would come, for a nonexistent mistake. The divine blessing of forgetting the tears that followed every act, every word, every thought. I chose to forget most times what it meant to be a living dead with no escape and no hope, with no help and no dreams...

With the present gone, I could see the eyes of the girl that was me and yet, not me. The same green eyes that over the last five years learned to smile, and laugh again, and to not run away from a confrontation, maybe to trust... But the eyes of the girl that used to be me carried no smiles, even the memory of them was lost to her; no dreams, no hopes... Those eyes could just reflect back the sadness of a world filled with terror, the helplessness of the one that knows that the dark cage will never be opened... In the girl that was shaking at the ring of her phone, there was no life beyond fear and punishment...

From across the table, separated by a simple cup of coffee, I see the ghost of the young mother that was me, of the man that I once loved and of the friend that I once foolishly trusted. I look at them then, in that time with no sunshine and no moonlight, and I remember running on dark streets wishing for death, because it seemed like the only possible escape from a nightmare I could not wake up from. I remember a night when I sat under a tree on a bench in a school, shaking at the leaves moving in the breeze and crying for the girl full of life and full of dreams that gave her world, her soul in exchange for love. I look at these ghosts and I see the day, when with a broken body as well as with a broken soul I realized that maybe, just maybe there might be an escape...

Now, looking back, I know that it was not courage, but a bottomless despair that gave me strength. Not hope but the fear that I will kill or be killed that gave me the power to risk the little that I barely had.

With the cup of coffee in my hand, I make an effort, from the bottom of my soul, and the past is gone, leaving behind a sunny spring day with children laughing. I am me again, the one that walked between the stars to gather the broken pieces of my soul, the one that fought to melt them back together. The me that is now, sheds a tear for the young broken woman I was, a tear not of pity, but of compassion. The me that is now, knows to the depth of her being that she will never be again that dead young woman that was yet living. But the me that is now, knows equally as well that she will never again be the young girl that gave up her world and her dreams, her soul and her heart in exchange for love. And if sometimes there is regret for knowing that I will never have again the open trust that I once had, for knowing that I will never risk my entire being for a dream, but only pieces of me, if at times there is regret for having had to learn how to store every part of my soul into tiny, pretty boxes, with safe compartments that will ensure that if one falls, the other will remain standing, I smile and I remember to be proud of the one I became, the one that in losing so much, never lost the compassion and the caring...

When I ran to fight the monsters of my nightmare, I was scared, not strong. Mending together the pieces of my soul. like a smith working at a forge, even though the blade that is my soul will never be the same again, I had learned its weaknesses and it strengths...  By learning how much I can risk before the danger will approach, by learning the steps between approaching danger and the risk of breaking, I became stronger, if not wiser, strong enough to take a risk if my heart so wishes and wise enough to know if the risk is worth taking... And for that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment